Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Conspiracy Playlists -- The Adventure Begins

The creation of my History of Conspiracy Theory course coincided with the onset of the mp3 era, so it was natural for a music fan like myself to make a CD to listen to while working on it. In putting that together, I realized that this music was an integral part of the whole subject for me. I vividly remember having originally picked up on the paranoia that pulsated through the culture of the 60s and 70s from the music I heard on the radio as a kid, including several of the songs on the list below, before I knew what any of it was about. Over time, this little amusement mushroomed into a lengthy series of conspiracy- and paranoia-themed CDs that I cannot seem to stop making. Having long wanted to share of these playlists without incurring the wrath of the RIAA, I am going to start posting a few of them here, along such links to versions of the songs themselves I happen across. Mp3s of most of these can be purchased from the usual outlets,  

CONSPIRACY MUSIC: Paranoia (original CD)
1. Paranoid Larry and His Imaginary Band - Paranoid Larry Theme Song (2:08)
2. Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth (2:40)

3. Uncle Tupelo - We've Been Had (3:26)
4 .Radiohead - Black Star (4:07)

5. X - Someone's Watching (4:49)
6. The Kinks - Here Come The People In Grey (3:46)
7. The Undisputed Truth - Smiling Faces Sometimes (3:14)
8. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising (2:20)
9. Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through the Grapevine (3:15)
10. The Temptations - (I Know) I'm Losing You (2:28)
11. Four Tops - Reach Out (I'll Be There) (3:01)
12. Green Day - Basket Case (3:03)
13. The Kinks - Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues (3:32)

14. Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta (3:38)
15. Garbage - I Think I'm Paranoid (3:37)
16. Black Sabbath - Paranoid (2:47)
17. Clem Snide - The Ballad of David Icke (1:51)
18. Bob Dylan - Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues [Live] (4:25)
19. Soul Coughing - Unmarked Helicopters (3:22)
20. Elvis Costello and the Attractions - Imagination Is a Powerful Deceiver (3:40)
21. Offspring - Conspiracy Of One (2:18)
22. The Black Crowes - A Conspiracy (4:46)
23. The Kinks - Destroyer (3:47)
24. Radiohead - Paranoid Android (6:23)